ALWAYS SEARCHING FOR NEW RECIPES

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

My First Blog

I have finally decided to start blogging about my love for food and my constant quest for new recipes.... thanks to my sister-in-law Kerry.  My family and friends are always passing along new recipes.  And I am always perusing cookbooks, blogs, magazines, and the internet.  As I grow older, I realize the importance of cooking with local fresh ingredients from our Farmers Market.  And, this year, Cleg has also had good success with his garden at our new home.  To try to preserve these yummy vegetables, I decided to try pressure canning instead of freezing.  As a trial, I bought a 16-quart pressure canner and sent Cleg to the local Farmers Market to buy green beans and tomatoes.... his garden yield was not enough.  I was able to can seven quarts of green beans and only four pints of basil tomato sauce (that was 14 lbs of tomatoes) !!  One of the tomato sauce jars did not seal, so we really enjoyed it on pasta the next night.
In my quest for recipes for the current local ingredient, peaches, I found a recipe for Peach Chutney on the Food Network website.  It is yummy and pairs well with pork tenderloin... probably with a white fish, too.  So stay tuned and offer any suggestions..... and, keep on cooking!!!




Peach Chutney
  • 1 T. butter
  • 1 T. finely chopped garlic
  • 2 shallots finely diced
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded & diced
  • 1 1/2 pounds fresh peaches, blanched and diced
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup brandy
  • 1/2 cup cider vinegar
  • Salt & pepper
Melt butter, add garlic, shallot & jalapeno & sweat for 1 to 2 minutes; add diced peaches.  Cook for 2 to 3 minutes; add sugar, deglaze with brandy and vinegar.  Allow to cook on low heat until peaches are soft.  Season with salt and pepper.









No comments:

Post a Comment