ALWAYS SEARCHING FOR NEW RECIPES

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Food Dehydrating 101

About 4 weeks ago, I purchased the Excalibur 5-Tray Dehydrator.  This is an experiment in preparation for next year's garden harvests.  I researched dehydrators for weeks before purchasing this one directly from Excalibur;  they were running several promotions.  The first thing I dried was apples;  they took about 8 hours.  They are pretty easy to do, and are a great snack item.






5 trays:  Before dehydrating
The next attempt was tomatoes.  I sliced them paper thin, peppered them, and then dried them.  These are the before and after pics of the tomatoes.  We have tried them on salads and I added them to a stew I made the other day.  They are really tasty eaten all by themselves!  I can also use them to make tomato sauce this winter.  The best part is you put them in the dehydrator, turn on the timer to the hours needed, and it will turn off by itself!!  I have so many fruits/veggies I want to try.  Just think, fresh vegetables year-round!
1 1/3 pint jars: After dehydrating

1 comment:

  1. You may have convinced me to get a dehydrator next Spring.

    ReplyDelete